LAST STAND ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES
January 30, 2020 – Eco-Discovery Center, Key West
Board members present: Mark Songer, Bill Hunter, Dottie Moses, D. A. Aldridge, Don DeMaria, Ann Olsen, Joyce Newman, Dora DeMaria and alternate members Naja Girard d’Albissin and Larry Myers. Executive Coordinator Stephanie Hellstrom was also present.
- Doors opened at 5:30 with a Meet and Greet session.
- 55 members, supporters, and interested individuals signed in to the event.
- The business meeting was called to order at approximately 6:05 pm; a quorum was established, and board members and alternate board members were introduced.
- Mark Songer presented the President’s Report reviewing the past 10 years of Last Stand’s activities.
- Board members Dottie Moses, D. A. Aldridge, and Ann Olsen were nominated for three-year terms, to end in 2023. Alternates Naja Girard d’Albissin and Larry Myers were nominated for one-year terms, ending in 2021. Motion to approve the election of nominees unanimously approved by the membership.
- Mark Songer presented the Treasurer’s Report.
- The speaker was introduced by Mark Songer.
- Speaker: Jon Rizzo, Warning Coordination Meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Key West, discussed the difficulties associated with predicting rapidly intensifying hurricanes (RIHs) and cited consequent impacts to safe hurricane evacuation for Keys resident. He noted RIHs are becoming more frequent because of warmer ocean waters produced by climate change.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:30pm.
- A social hour followed in the parking lot, at which time raffle items were distributed.
Joyce Newman, Secretary